Friday, April 23, 2010

fish baby






Waylon went swimming for the first time today. It was BIG f-u-n. I just put him right in the water. All the way (not under, but close). I didn't want to hesitate because I didn't want him to think I was anxious or it was something he should be afraid of. The water was pretty cool and he made a nervous face at first, but my excitement and enthusiasm overrode his apprehension and he let it go.

He was a little fish baby! It was fantastic! I think if I had let him go completely, he would have put in a couple of laps and hopped out for a snack and a rest in the sun. Ahh. Without a doubt, Waylon gets his penchant for the water from his Mama. I was swimming like a...fish when I was only three years old. I have always loved it and never been afraid. Joey still doesn't know how to swim.

Gigi brought a little inner tube for us to play with and Waylon hung his chubby little arms over the sides and kicked out back like a champ. He floated and splashed and kicked and stuck his little face in the water. He's a born swimmer. I am so proud. I want him to grow up swimming... and being a healthy-unafraid. We were so sad Daddy had to miss this day, but so grateful that Gigi invited us over and brought Cooper down to play with us. AND, to top it all off, Amy and Locke came, too. The only thing that would've made this day better is some ice-cold watermelon, a little more sweet tea, and of course Daddy.

We can't wait to go to the beach in a couple of weeks. Now THAT will be a good time.

2 comments:

  1. the YMCA in Trussville offers swimming lessons. not sure how old the babies have to be or how much they are, but I know several people who have put their kids in them.
    since Waylon seemed to like the pool so much, I can't wait to hear how he likes the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte started swim lessons when she was 6 months old. It was so much fun. I'm thrilled for you that W likes the water so much and even more thrilled that he'll be going toe-dipping her in a couple weeks! You know what they say: if you dip a baby's toes in the ocean before they're a year old, they'll always be drawn to the water.

    ReplyDelete