Friday, July 23, 2010

these knees are made for crawling


chubby feet
Lolly and Mama having too much fun with a shower cap.
Lolly and her boys.
smush face
sweetest Mama sugar

stander
walking Grandpa
close-up

Just vacuumed and mopped (for the second time this week) wearing from the toe up, flip-flops, undies, nursing bra with paper towels stuck underneath (for sweat, not milk) and pearls. Pretty. Reminds me of the time I was cleaning the shower (bird #1) whilst taking a shower (bird #2), thinking I was home alone - except for Waylon, of course. Joey busted me - yellow rubber glove, sponge and shower cap. Sexy. This may be too much information, but it made me stop and laugh.

This has been an eventful month. No wonder I've only blogged once. Waylon is officially a crawler. He is a man on the move. After he crawled accidentally on July Fourth, it took him a week or so to go again. It's been non-stop since. He follows me around the house. He pulls up on everything. He walks along furniture, and even from furniture to furniture. He is obsessed with danger; he wants to play on the brick hearth, in the actual fireplace, on the only metal/glass-top table in the whole house, in his diaper bucket. It's so tricky, too, because I don't know how to train a kid. I can train a dog, but kids are harder. I don't want to yell at him or spank him or scare him. I just want to teach him. And I really don't want to baby-proof my whole life. I would rather Waylon learn boundaries. I think he can do it. I think we can do it.

I finally broke down and bought a bumper for Waylon's crib. (Kind of late, I know.) But, come to find out, he was burrowing right into the rails and waking himself up. You know that can't be comfortable. Ever since the bumper installation, he has been sleeping like a you-know-what. Until last night...
He woke up crying at 11:30. I turned on the monitor to make sure he was ok and watch to see if he would settle back down. He usually does. He didn't. I went in to help him and he did not want me to leave, to say the least. I rocked him for a minute, which I usually do not do at night. Thought he was asleep, put him back, he loses it. I get him back up and try again. Same thing. So we go to the guest room to lie down together. He is awake. Just awake. Not upset (I guess cause he's with me). He just lay there, blinking, playing with my face. He finally fell asleep. I did, too. I don't know how long we slept, but at 3:00 this morning, I oh-so-carefully transferred him to his crib again and collapsed back in home-sweet-bed. He woke this morning at 6:00 (which is an hour early) crying. Put him back in bed with me and we slept 'til 8:00. Shew.

This is pretty much never happened before. Waylon has always slept through the night...I mean, since he started sleeping through the night. I think he may be working on tooth #9. We'll see soon enough, I suppose. Kyle asked me if I was taking it easy today. I said Goodness, yes. If laundry, vacuum, mop, shower, chase baby is easy. Yes.

It has been such a fun, big month for us around here. I was right, by the way. It is much easier now that Waylon can crawl than it was when he would just sit in the floor and cry until I would come walk him around the house. Slightly more dangerous, but easier. I think he'll be walking soon. I can't imagine...

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Waylon! What a mega accomplishment!! I totally agree about not babyproofing. Teaching and training a baby is stinkin' hard, but worth it. I mean, don't you want him learning to obey you over not touching the book on the coffee table than not sneaking out as a teenager? Obedience starts early!! I know you are doing great with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see Waylong crawling...cute, cute, cute! And yes, we've also had many scares with the brick fireplace at our house...thankfully no accidents yet, but many scares!!

    ReplyDelete