Monday, January 10, 2011

awakening

Got a little affirmation this morning - a little clarity about that second coming to Christ, that awakening I was referring to yesterday. Once again, God has used Oswald Chambers to tell me what He needs me to know. Thanks, Lord.

Chambers writes:

Our job as workers for God is to open people's eyes so that they may turn themselves from darkness to light. But that is not salvation; it is conversion - only the effort of an awakened human being. . . The majority of so-called Christians are like this. Their eyes are open, but they have received nothing. Conversion is not regeneration. . . When a person is born again, he knows that it is because he has received something as a gift from Almighty God and not because of his own decision. . . Salvation means that we are brought to the place where we are able to receive something on the authority of Jesus Christ, namely, forgiveness of sins. . . In sanctification, the one who has been born again deliberately gives up his right to himself to Jesus Christ, and identifies himself entirely with God's ministry to others.

That's what I'm talking about. Conversion. Salvation. Sanctification. 1, 2, 3. . . I just didn't have the right words.

Let me ask you something, because I feel like God is urging me to do so. Where are you? I mean, if those are three steps, which step would you be on? My life is plagued with so many people so close to me that have yet to make it to, or past, step one. A persecuted saint I am not, but it poses somewhat of a challenge to minister to people raised in church, taught the story, heard the claims and yet deliberately rejected the only opportunity for freedom and peace and hope and life they will ever be given.

Let me ask you this. What if you're right, you who have chosen the path most taken - who have opted for death? What if you are right, that there is no God, no Christ, no salvation, no freedom, no life? Then we all lose, right? We all die together and learn together that Hell is real. We are all doomed and this life is all there is. And you "win."

But what if I'm right? What if that preacher is right? Or your mom or dad or neighbor or whoever won't leave you alone and keeps inviting you to church and quoting scripture? What if Christianity is right? Then you lose. Big. Bigger than you can imagine. In fact, you probably don't even let yourself go there, huh? You probably don't even let yourself imagine what's after this life. You're hoping and banking on the possibility that we are all wrong and you are right.

I got news. It's not new to you, however. You know what I'll say before I say it, but it's worth the chance, right? I mean, if you're right, we all lose. If you're wrong, only you lose. Why not take the risk? Do some of your own investigating. Find your own answers. There is plenty of research to be done for the case for Christ (which happens to be a great book to start with). Don't just take my word for it, or the preacher's or Jane Christian. You're a big girl or boy. You find out.

And please let me know what you find. I'm dying to know. . . ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment