Thursday, February 10, 2011

how tu-tu

Seriously easy project. My neighbor-friend is having a baby girl later this month. I wanted to complete an outfit we've given her with a bright red tutu. Who knew these things are so pricey? So I made one myself. This is the best picture I have of the finished product so far. I'll share a better one ASAP.


You are looking at everything you need, plus at least an hour. The complete tool list is: a spool of tulle, some elastic banding, needle and thread and scissors. *(I think the next time I do this, I might just buy some bottoms in the size/color of the tutu I'm making, cut the elastic band off and call it real.)
And for your crafting enjoyment, a step-by-step.
1. Cut the elastic banding to your desired size (or cut it off the cheap-o bottoms) and sew the ends together nice and tight. Obviously, if you just cut the band off some bottoms, don't cut through the band - as in, don't cut the circle.
2. Cut the tulle in strips that are about 14-16 inches long. I couldn't tell you how many strips this took. Start with twenty and go.
3. Tie the tulle onto the elastic band, one strip at a time, and pull all the knots to the same side. For example, as I tied a knot, I pulled it to what would be "down" the tutu, or towards the bottom. Makes sense, right? I doubled knotted mine. Just in case.
And you're done. Presto! A tutu! So easy.
If you're not craft-prone and you really really want/need a tutu, let me know! I would love to make you one and would ask much less than retailers.
Etsy anyone?


In the meantime, how handsome is this little man??


1 comment: