Tuesday, January 5, 2010

to whom much is given

Number three. Three in one day. I have a lot to say today. Mom, sorry if there are misspelled words in the last two entries. Forgot to spell check.

I wanted to update you on the tithing situation. This will only take a minute.

So, as I mentioned earlier, December was the first month that Joey and I tithed 10% of our income. This is in fact not considered giving by myself. It's just giving back to God what is his. Giving is what we do above and beyond the 10% that is required. So, we actually didn't get to write the check until the Sunday after Christmas. You see, we are not standing members of any church. I am a member of OMPC from when my parents joined forever ago, but we have not joined a church together. So, we decided that our tithe would go to Gravel Hill Baptist Church in Greenville. This is Joey's mom's home church. Gone there for years. Love this church, we do. It is a tiny little church in the country full of the Spirit and overflowing with love for the Lord and for us. They are some precious brothers and sisters, down there at GHBC. There are only ever about 20 people max every time we go. When I went to Africa, they made a significant financial contribution as well as praying for me before and during my trip and asking me to share when I got back. They held a wedding shower for Joey and I when we got married. They are family. We gave our first ever tithe check to them on Sunday, the 27th.

Well, before we ever even wrote the check, we started receiving financial blessings from above. Seriously, it's like God was going, 'I'm so proud of you for even committing to doing this. Let me show you what I'm talking about when I say that I give abundantly to those who give freely." All in the month of December, we got a big reimbursement from BCBS, Joey got a bigger-than-expected Christmas bonus (even with 'these tough economic times') and a significant raise!

See there. God is faithful and generous and loving. Try him.

No comments:

Post a Comment