Saturday, February 6, 2010

what weekend?

What does a stay-at-home-mom do on the weekend? I used to hit the shops every Saturday. I was working for my own money and had pleanty to blow on a couple new outfits every weekend. And that was how Mom and I defined 'quality time.' We had perfected the art of browse, vent, try-on, sympathize, purchase, laugh...lather, rinse, repeat. It was good, clean fun. A Ramsey budget, a 5-month-old, a post-baby body and one less salary later, and my shopping days have gone the way of Britney Spears' career - still there somewhere, making speratic, sorry-excuses for comebacks that will never compare to the original glory days. Funny thing is, when I do stumble on some extra cash that I can't think of anything better to do with, I'd rather buy the kid some new duds. I'll stick to my gray sweats, as long as he looks good. Says a lot about a mom, don't you think? (Don't really say what you think. I'm kidding.)

So, all along I've thought I was a pretty well-rounded, intelligent woman. I mean, in highschool I played every sport a girl could play (trying out counts, right?). Growing up, I danced, I played softball, I played piano, acted, sang, drew things, painted things, built things. I was a busy kid with a big imagination. Thing is, I never stuck with anything. Until highschool, the only thing I tried that I ever stuck with was school. And that was because I had to. In highschool, I played volleyball. Gave it three very committed, hard-working years. But that's it. It's like I'm decent at lots of things, but not great at anything. I don't have a single hobby. I thought this blog would help sling me back into writing, but I don't want to write. I just want to blog. Thought Waylon would push me back into photography, but I don't take enough pictures of him as it is. I thought staying at home would allow me to explore my muffled creative side, maybe even make a buck in the process. But, here I sit. Saturday morning. Might as well be a Wednesday. Joey's in the garage endulging one of his many hobbies - wood-working. Waylon's in his room perfecting one of his favorite past-times - napping. And I? Sitting at the computer, still in my pajamas, debating a shower and the value of my free time.

I guess what I'm saying is, I am beyond-words grateful that I am able to be at home every day with my son. I know that I will never really know how blessed I am. I am grateful to Joey for his hard work that allows me to do this. This is what I have always wanted to do/be when I grew up. I am doing it. It is heaven. But, does every day have to be the same? Seems like Waylon and I should get a weekend, too, doesn't it? The only difference between Saturday and Wednesday for us is that I only allow myself to do laundry on the weekends. No other chores. So, there is that. But, I want some adventure, some company, some adult interaction. Or maybe I should just embrace my pajamas and make the weekend the least productive part of my week - watch movies, play games, blog, things that require little thought and effort.

What I really want is an 'outlet.' I need a hobby or three. I need to pick up my camera, paintbrush, scrapbook, whatever, and make it happen for myself. That's exactly what I'm going to do. I think I work hard enough all seven days of the week that I can devote a little of my free time to...gasp...myself.

2 comments:

  1. Just saw your blog on FB....love it! You need to do some more writing. I love reading what you are up to :) Plus the title is so perfect for the day to day life with kids.
    I have a blog too (I guess that is what stay as home mom's do)
    heathandnikki.blogspot.com
    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here Here! I laughed all through this because it's all so true. How about we plan some grand adventure for a Saturday sometime? I'm desperate for Saturday adventures.

    ReplyDelete