Thursday, February 18, 2010

you know joe

So, Joey, ever the optimist, pointed out to me last night that if everyone were to do what I'm doing (which is to stop purchasing cheap clothes from 'sweat shops') then those sweat shops would close down. They would go out of business, taking with them all those cotton-picking jobs. He said those people aren't working there because they like it. They are probably working there because there is no other work. It's their only opportunity to make money, however little it may be. So, according to the law of supply and demand, if the demand for their cotton goes down, their bosses will not bring in as much money. Without an income, their bosses can't pay them, requiring him to let them go. Away. Fire them. Joey said the only thing worse than living on barely anything is living on nothing. Good point.

He said the only way my sorry little project (my words, not his) would work is if enough people did it that big retailers took notice. Then, the retailers would have to take part in demanding that the conditions and wages be improved or else. What are the chances, huh?

I hate that mentality, though. I told him I can not think that's the way it is. I can't believe that I actually should be purchasing more sweat shop apparel, thus increasing the demand and subsequently the supply. The more I buy, the more work there is for the cotton pickers, the more money they make, the better off they are. Can you believe this? It's like leaving a trash trail every where you go, saying all along the way that there is someone whose job it is to pick up trash. The more trash you leave, the more work they have to do, the bigger their paycheck. It doesn't make sense (but it sort of does).

Regardless of the backwards theory of job security, I still can not bring myself to encourage and support the conditions of the shops and factories that manufacture my clothes. Just for my own clear conscience, the vow stands. There has to be a loose thread somewhere. Any ideas?

So, I came up with a couple other reasons that second-hand shopping is better. First, it is, obviously, more economical. Second-hand clothes are always cheaper than first-hand clothes (from what I've seen). They're called thrift stores for a reason. Second, it's environmentally friendly. I think. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. I'm sure there are other reasons. I'll think of them and let you know.

I do have to take this opportunity to make a little disclaimer. I will be purchasing new, never-been-used under garments. Just so we're clear.

On another note, I should update you on the grocery store saga. Last week, I sat down with the Publix circular and my stack of coupons and made my menu and grocery list. Last week was to be the week that I would beat the system. I left Publix more than $30 over budget. I was devastated. I was ready to take back $30 worth of groceries. Instead, I decided that I would come in $30 under budget this week, and that I would do it at Target. And I did. It can be done. Not to say that I didn't have to go back through the store putting unnecessary items back on the shelf in order to get my total down to $24. Victory is sweeter than dark chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment