Monday, March 22, 2010

a blur



This past week and a half went by so fast. I don't even know what we did with all our time. First we were at Joey's parents' house, then home for a day, then to Auburn for four days, with a day trip to Columbus in there, then home. I have to say, as you probably already know, Waylon was a dream. Always is. But, man is he...are we glad to be home. It really doesn't matter how accomodating our host may be or how comfortable we are wherever we go, nothing is quite like home. We're sleeping better, eating better. It's just better. And Daddy's here.

Waylon cut his second tooth while we were at Lolly's house. That's right. He just got his first one two weeks ago, and number two has already made its debut. Bless his heart. That's tough on a little guy. And he is a bonafide maniac in the process. It hasn't so much affected his nightime sleep, but his naps are almost impossible and he is crazy hyper...which is so weird for him. He's usually very chill. I guess it's hard work and he's trying to make the best of it.

Still progressing on the baby food front. It's not so bad. In Greenville, he had bananas, which he loved. In Auburn, he tried peas and threw them up everywhere. I mean, made a nasty face, gagged and threw up. Like a big person. It was traumatic for me. I must have apologized for 20 minutes. No more peas for a little while. This is his third day on applesauce and has been the best so far. I have been mixing it with cereal, but he's not a mixer, aparently. He likes it better straight up. On Saturday night, I gave him his late late feeding and on his way into the crib, he lost it...all of it. Several times. I was soaked. He was soaked. The rug was soaked all the next day. It was even more traumatic for me than the pea incident. He was fine. Went right to sleep. What a troop.

One of the highlights of our adventure this past week was a visit with Angie and her girls in Columbus. They live in the most adorable little house in a beautiful neighborhood that sits on a lovely park. Three dogs. Double jogger. Picket fence. Sand box. All stainless. I had a little envy as we pulled into the drive. Angie and I used to be inseprable and haven't seen each other in years, minus a little three hour visit about two years ago. There are several things I would give up for us to be in the same town again. I miss her. She could be anybody's best friend. And instantly. She's that good.

Angie met Waylon for the first time. I met Ruby for the first time and had lots of catching up to do with Charlotte. Waylon and Ruby are only 5 weeks apart, so I'm pretty sure they will get married.

I think Joey used to look forward to these little trips I would take without him. It's some of the only time our house is relatively quite. I'm pretty sure he hates it now. It's Waylon. It's impossible to be away from him and not miss him with all your heart. The reunion was sweet. Waylon really missed his Daddy, too.

Man, was it wonderful to spend that much time with Mom, though. First of all, I didn't have to cook or clean for almost four whole days. She just flung open the door, hugged us in and fed us to our heart's content. Her house is like being at the beach. The only down-side is not seeing the ocean when you look out the window. And she and Waylon are going to be best friends. I can tell. He adores her. He reaches for her. She sings and whistles and hums and laughs and talks with her hands. What's not to adore? She is a wonderful Mom, but she is an amazing Lolly. And she is my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment