Tuesday, March 9, 2010

movin' out

The plan all along has been that Waylon would sleep in our room for 'a few months' then move to his room. I really didn't know exactly how long he would be in there with us, just until he was sleeping well through the night. Well, the time has come.

He's been sleeping through the night for a while, but he's very restless. Sometimes he even wakes up, talks and goes back to sleep. He also cries in his sleep, turns 360's, poots, laughs, among other things. He's just not a heavy sleeper. But, I knew I had to give myself a deadline, or he'd be spending his last-night-before-college right next to me. So, I set the deadline at 6 months, which arrived this past weekend.

I was a wreck. I almost cried. I didn't, but I almost did. His room shares a wall with ours, so he's not but about 20 feet away, but it feels like miles. Sunday night was the big night. I made sure his crib was ready for an all-nighter. He had his sound machine. Two night-lights. I had the monitor bedside. We were as close to ready as we were going to be. Changed him, fed him for the last time and put him in there. All alone.

He did great. He's young enough to not really know that anything's different, which was the goal. He slept about par - tossed and turned, ended up completely turned around, woke up at 5:30, finished the morning snuggled up to me. I, on the other hand, didn't sleep a wink. I was exhausted yesterday. We have a video monitor. I turned the video part off, but everytime he made a noise, I woke up and turned it on, just to make sure.

Last night was much better. He slept great. I slept great. Didn't even wake up to check on him once, that I remember. So, he's out. The move was a success. The pack-n-play still sits by my bed, in case he ever wants to come back. We'll take it down soon.

1 comment:

  1. We just did the same thing last week. Although Coop is now a whole floor above us:( I had to make Nick take the packnplay down so I couldn't change my mind! We definitely all sleep better I think, but it's still hard to see him on the monitor all alone when I know he is used to looking over and seeing us. (or maybe it's me used to seeing him:)

    ReplyDelete