Thursday, March 11, 2010

we knew

Waylon had his 6 month check up yesterday. He's perfect, just as we suspected. He weighs 19lb 7oz, which is the 50th percentile. And he's 28 1/2 inches long, which is still at the top of the chart. He couldn't be better.

The doctor said I have to add baby food back into his diet now. He's not getting adequate calories from just breast milk anymore. So, we're adding cereal...again. I think he's excited. I'm not. It's fun, but breastfeeding is just so easy. Anyway, I'm going to try making my own baby food. Don't laugh. If you've tried it and you have any words of wisdom or experience, please indulge me. Good recipe books? Tools of the trade? Do's or don't's? Cost comparison? Anything. I need to know what I'm getting into. I'm actually sort of looking forward to it.

I've just decided that I am willing to do whatever it takes...WHATEVER...to be able to stay at home with Waylon for as long as possible. If we have to eat ground beef and ramen noodles and I have to spend entire days steaming and pureeing baby food, that's what I'll do. It's worth it.

If you're following my weekly menus, I haven't made one for next week yet. We are going out of town this weekend (free food!) and I will be gone Tuesday through Friday next week, so it's kind of an off week. The only nights I will be cooking are tonight and Monday night. Dad's birthday is tonight and we're having baked spaghetti and carmel cake (mmm). Monday night, I will be making Brunswick stew per Joey's request. Never made that before, so we'll see. And, of course, I'll let you know!

Hey, and if you've tried any of these recipes, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I still make Mary Thomas's baby food! I tried fruits but didn't succeed in keeping them from turning brown- so I buy those. But as for veggies, it's SO easy. Steam them, puree them in a food processor, freeze them in ice cube trays, store in the freezer. I do lima beans, green beans, brocolli, sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, chicken and rice... I use the book Super Baby Food. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not adequate calories? Really? Ruby eats about 6 bites of baby food a day and weighs 22lbs. Charlotte pretty much went from b'milk to finger foodsd and she was 30lbs at a year (and I love that as a 3 year old she weighs 32lbs!) In Europe they don't even give babies pureed food...straight to finger foods.

    I imagine it would be more cost effective to make your own baby food. We throw so many jars of baby food away it's ridiculous. But this way, yeah, you make your own, freeze it, thaw it out in little cubes. I LOVE 'Top 100 Baby Purees' by Anabel Karmel. She also has a whole lot of first/beginner foods (risotto w/veggies, etc.).

    Maybe you just need to nurse Waylon more often. I feel pretty certain that they can get everything they need from b'milk for the first year. Good luck to you!

    When are you going to post some vegetarian dinners? I'm such a demanding friend. Surely Joey won't mind eating vegetarian for my sake, right?

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete